Saturday 10 October 2009

Daddy's Girl

Fathers and their daughters - huh?
Holding his big strong hand,
Feeling safe from the world with one big hug.

Gone, taken, never to feel that again.

Pain, excruciating,indescribable pain
My world shattered,
My family decimated, so alone.

Learning to stand on my feet again,
Get out of bed in the morning,
work, smile, carry on - so hard to hide from my despair.

Silly things....
His fingerprints still on the window where he leant to close it.
His mug pushed to the back of the cupboard.
His slippers still lined up regimentally by his dressing table.
The smell of his aftershave on the jumper still on the back of his chair.

He is not in the next room, the happy memories are too painful to entertain.
I must be brave, I am told, think of happier times, be strong.
I just want him back, showing me what to do, telling me off for not using raw plugs,
Raising his eyes to the gods, when I miss a shot. Laughing at me for being gullible.

'You are such a Daddy's girl,inseparable, so close.' people remark.
Yes I am a Daddy's girl,
...and I always will be!

January 2001


1 comment:

  1. You are soooo brave dear Neets. A friend told me once poetry is just a collection of sentences that don't all meet the edge of the page. There is no right, wrong or anything about putting your inner most feelings in to words. Keep 'em coming :) x

    ReplyDelete